Wednesday into the studio - off to a bad start. Came in to find new pots, or specifically the new mountain vase. And I'm not pleased. For my own reasons. Anyhow, that put me in a sour mood to start, and affected the throwing a bit.
I spent my first thirty minutes in the studio slightly miffed about this and that and as a result had several failed throws before I was able to move on to something more productive, which worked out alright. These are mostly larger pieces, and if large is all I'm able to produce, I guess there are worse problems to have. The vases have been coming quickly and with less trouble than ever before, and that's a plus. Though I seem to be having a harder time with bowls lately. Perhaps because the only bowls I can currently justify throwing are commissions requiring nontraditional (at least for me) shapes. But as you can see below, I got this one to come out alright, too.
Large flared bowl - 16" across, 6" tall
Mid-Large vase. Didn't measure it. I think it's about 14" tall.
Bigger vase - plenty of clay to be trimmed out of the foot to shape for a more dynamic form. This one's about 18" tall, I think.
These vases here aren't flawless - they're a little bit bottom-heavy, but not much, compared to where I was even a year ago, and that's exciting. Both of these were thrown in one sitting, while I normally (used to) had to let them firm up a bit before really working on any shaping to the neck or rim. So, baby steps.
The other plus to these bigger pieces is that if I need to wrap them up tightly and leave them be for a week, I trust that I can come back to them and find them still workable (or at the very least, trimmable).